Association for Israel Studies (AIS) is an organization open to scholars in the social sciences and humanities engaged in research on topics related to the State of Israel.
Chartered in the U.S., AIS is devoted to the academic and professional study of Israel. The Association’s membership is composed of scholars from all disciplines in the social sciences and many in the humanities.
Formed in 1985, the Association for Israel Studies is an international, interdisciplinary scholarly society devoted to the academic and professional study of modern Israel.
AIS is open to all individuals who are engaged in, or share an interest in, scholarly inquiry about Israel, the Zionist movement, the Yishuv, and pre-state Palestine more broadly. The Association’s membership is composed of scholars from all disciplines in the social sciences and many in the humanities. The Association is committed to academic freedom and freedom of expression.
AIS also sponsors panels at meetings of the International Studies Association and the American Political Science Association (APSA).
Since 2016 the AIS is an affiliated member organization of the American Historical Association (AHA). It is authorized to participate in the work of AHA, through such activities as the organization of panels and workshops at the annual AHA conference. Since 2016 the AIS is an affiliated member organization of the Association for Jewish Studies (AJS).
In Israel, AIS works in cooperation with various scholarly associations, institutes and universities.”
INSTITUTIONAL MEMBERS 2023
• Center for Israeli Studies, American University
• Schusterman Center for Israel Studies, Brandeis University
• Azrieli Institute of Israel Studies, Concordia University
• The Michael and Elaine Serling Institute for Jewish Studies and Modern Israel at Michigan State University
• The Taub Center for Israel Studies, New York University
• The Ben–Gurion Research Institute for the Study of Israel & Zionism, Ben-Gurion University of the Negev
• The Crown Family Center for Jewish and Israel Studies, Northwestern University
• Department of Jewish Studies & The Allen and Joan Blinder Center for the Study of Jewish Life, Rutgers University
• The Arizona Center for Judaic Studies, The University of Arizona
• Institute for Israel Studies/Schusterman Center for Jewish Studies University, The University of Texas at Austin
• The Helen Diller Institute for Jewish Law and Israel Studies, University of California, Berkeley
• The Y&S Nazarian Center for Israel Studies, University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA)
• The Program in Jewish Culture and Society, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
• Gildenhorn Institute for Israel Studies, University of Maryland
• The Schwalb Center for Israel & Jewish Studies, University of Nebraska
• Mosse/Weinstein Center for Jewish Studies, University of Wisconsin-Madison
AFFILIATE MEMBERS 2023
• Heksherim Research Institute for Jewish and Israeli Literature & Culture, Ben-Gurion University of the Negev
• Judaic Studies, University of Cincinnati
• Center for Judaic Studies and Contemporary Jewish Life, University of Connecticut
• Center for Jewish Studies, Wesleyan University